Finally moving? Here’s a guide that will help you with the end-of-tenancy cleaning and get your full deposit back!
So you’ve packed up and you’re ready to move to your new place, but before you hand over your keys, you realise that there’s one last crucial thing to do: clean. We know that when moving to a new house, the last thing on your mind would be end-of-tenancy cleaning, but it’s a task that should be taken seriously. In many rental situations, in order to get your full deposit back, you have to leave the property as clean as when you first moved in.
56% of rental disputes occur because tenants fail to conduct proper end-of-tenancy cleaning when leaving a property. It’s a landlord’s right to request the same level of hygiene as it was documented at the time of signing a new rental contract. When moving out, it’s really up to the renter to achieve that level of cleanliness, using whatever means necessary.
In order to help renters, our experienced cleaners have put together a guide that will help you conduct end-of-tenancy cleaning to a high standard and get your full deposit back.
Bedrooms, living rooms and communal areas
Many professional housekeeping services and end-of-tenancy cleaning services start by cleaning from the highest furniture or fixture and work their way to the bottom. From the ceiling down, get your rooms back in shape by keeping an eye out for these factors:
- Remove all nails and screws out of the walls and ceiling and fill the holes with putty
- Dust off the ceiling fixtures and fans
- Dust off all ledges and clean windows, door knobs and doors
- Replace any dim or broken light bulbs and take out the rubbish
- Clean out any balcony areas with a broom and warm water
- Mop, broom or vacuum the floors completely by removing any furniture and getting underneath or behind hard-to-reach places
- Clean the walls and skirting boards with a damp sponge or wet microfibre towel
- Clean all the doors, including the front door
- Remove any stains from the floors, carpets or walls by using concentrated dirt removal liquid
- Get rid of all cobwebs
- Clean the bathroom tiles, bathtub, shower and sink to get the soap scum or limescale off the surface. Bleaching is the easiest way to clean grout
- Clean out the drawers and vanity areas, making sure you either clean the liners or replace them with new ones
- Clean the toilet and countertops, and sweep and mop the floor
- Clean the mirror and vacuum the surface of the exhaust fan if it’s dirty
This is the most complicated room in the entire house to clean. Make sure you dedicate enough time to your kitchen — it could be a lengthy process!
- Start with emptying and clearing out all cabinets and drawers, including the pantry. Once empty, clean them out thoroughly
- Clean the front of the cabinets with a dampened cloth or microfibre towel
- Clean and disinfect the sink, faucet and all countertops
- Clean the refrigerator by removing all shelves and cleaning them separately if necessary
- Clean the oven by removing all shelving, drop pans and burners. Use steel wool for easy cleaning
- If you have a dishwasher, make sure you clean it by running a self-clean cycle. Make sure to run a cloth over the front of it as well
- Clean the exhaust fan by removing it and running it under warm water. You can also use warm soapy water to soak it in and clean it right after
- Remove all appliances and sweep behind them
Get the professionals in!
That all sounds like a lot of work, doesn’t it? We know that those final days of a tenancy period can be hectic, and all these cleaning tasks might be difficult to get around to. St Annes Housekeeping offers high-quality, affordable, professional housekeeping services in London that can help ease your stresses. Many people think that hiring a professional housekeeping service for end-of-tenancy cleaning services will be expensive. However, more and more Brits are hiring housekeeping companies for everyday chores, such as ironing services and grocery shopping. End-of-tenancy cleaning by professionals can ensure you receive your full deposit back after moving out, so you can save time and money by hiring an agency to get the job done.
Sometimes, you need to spend a little in order to save a lot. St Annes Housekeeping offers a superb professional cleaning service to give your place a final spring clean before moving day arrives.